Controlling light by using a 3 stop ND filter

 ND filters allow longer exposures without over exposing the scene. I had been thinking about using them for some time, and decided to pick up a set that includes a CPL (circular polarizing filter), a 3 stop and a 10 stop filter.

Having the shutter open for longer periods of time smooths out running water and clouds into silky looking backgrounds. Even shutter speeds of only 1 second can produce the effect, so a 3 stop filter can be used successfully if it's cloudy .  They won't produce the same effects as 15  second or longer exposures using a darker filter, but I think it's nice enough. 

Here's a 1 second exposure with a 3 stop filter:


I'm looking forward to learning to shoot lightning strikes using the ND filters to allow me to leave the shutter open for longer periods and wait for strikes rather than trying to react super quickly when a bolt pierces the air.

Comments

  1. Very well done, Joe! Nice composition as well, with the runoff going off the bottom left corner. I almost always have my CPL on any lens just to take the shine off of objects or cut reflections, when needed. I know some people claim it adds a stop of exposure, but I haven't found that to be true - but maybe it's because I don't use the "premium" CPL. I have a 4, 8 and 10, mostly for ICM, but now that summer is here, the 4 can help to keep the highlights from blowing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, John! So many possibilities with these ND filters, and I've been wanting a CPL for awhile now because i shoot during the middle of the day in most cases. I did notice a shift in exposure time when I added the polarizer vs initial shots without it, but the colors are so much nicer that I don't mind looking for a place to rest the camera during the shot. I may actually start carrying a tripod more often for the ND filter stuff.

      Delete
  2. I am really loving this photo...not sure if it's the coloration ( am totally partial to blue) the compostion, the movement of the water, the texture....or every thing. I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Camellia! The river is almost 100 ft wide at that point, so I kinda got lucky with the compositional elements coming together where I could set up.

      Delete
  3. That's worked well, I like it

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice! You really put it to good use. I've played with those as well. I'm looking to purchase another camera soon that has built in ND filters up to 4 stops I believe (Olympus EM1 Mark 3).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the detailed explanation. Love your beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment