Saturday Choice

 My Hometown


I am working on finding a composition for a photo contest entitled "My Hometown" that is being run in The Tennessee Magazine (tnmagazine.org) This monthly publication is put out by the Tennessee Electric Cooperative Association. Like most of rural America, we here in Fayette County are served by a coop, Chickasaw Electric. 

The magazine runs periodic contests, generally three a year, but this will be the first time I've had a chance to enter. When I first moved out here in the country, I wasn't aware of the magazine - my brother would toss it out because neither he nor my sister-in-law(I live with them) were interested in it. Then, it wasn't possible to get out due to back surgeries/recoveries and for the last theme, "Celebrations", it just wasn't something in my wheelhouse.


Now, "My Hometown" sounds really cute and wonderful until you realize that Rossville, TN, population ~800, is essentially this...here's a panorama of "downtown". From the right, Papi Joe's Tennessee Hot Sauces, a nail parlor and salon, a brand new barber shop and several empty, but promised soon-to-be-filled store fronts. 



There's a cute little city park across the street with a small lake and a paved trail around it, complete with copperhead snakes. The residential section is a National Historic District with lovely older homes built when Rossville was establish in the early part of the 19th century as a farming and rail center.


Adjacent to the park is the town's claim to fame, the Wolf River Cafe. An old fashioned meat-and-three, hope-you-like-fried, hail-fellow-well-met kind of place. Closed Sunday and Tuesday, specials every night with the favorites being fried chicken on Thursday and catfish on Friday. Grease in the fryers changes every pandemic.


And that, friends, is all that I can find to identify and showcase Rossville. Every other composition simply shows very nice stately, older homes seen all across rural Tennessee and newer subdivisions, like mine and just a few local retail outlets. Oh, and these last two photos and the second one had to be taken early Sunday mornings - the only time there is no traffic and no one about.

I'll have plenty of Sundays for some better light since the deadline is mid July. As with the contest I entered last year for the town of Collierville, I have no motive other than accepting the challenge. In that case, I was able to offer compositions in my comfort zone - nature, wildlife and landscape - and was given awards for all three entries. We'll see what this challenge brings.

Comments

  1. Thank you for sharing your hometown. It looks green, cute, and peaceful. I love it and wish you will get the light you want and get the award.😃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my friend - I will be happy to just get the light!

      Delete
  2. This was a fun read and view post. While going through it my mind drifted off ( you know my mind is a state of the art crazy as crazy can be) anyway it drifted off to......Harrogate TN. Have you been? I hope I am not insulting you but what a nightmare of a town if you can call it a town. Dryest town ever with one Walmart and several churches including the famous snake handling church that was featured on 60 minutes years ago.Everytime I went down there, severe depression took me in 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh lord, you had to dig up that place. Yes, I was there, but back in the 70's on the way to Cumberland Gap NP. Had to go into town for supplies (no WallyWorld then) and essentially got run out of town for being, and I quote, " a long haired, pseudo intellectual, bed wetting, communist pervert, faggot", or words to that effect. At the time, I did resemble a Hell's Angel, sans tattoos and leathers, and was a rather healthy specimen, so they mostly mumbled under their breath. But service did not come with a smile, to say the least. Happened quite a bit. However, we here, in Rossville, are destined, it is said, to get not only a small grocery store but a liquor store and cigar bar and, dare we hope (dare, dare!) a real estaurant! We have many retired military and FedEx executives, including our mayor (former head of FX travel services) living in the burbs, so we may be deep red (sigh!) but we do love our adult beverages!😁

      Delete
    2. 🤗🤗🤗 Glad to see that you have experienced the place. Thankfully I did not have to live there but the daughter lived there through her graduate school years. I must add that while the town is definitely not "my thing" the university that is located there is one heck of a uni. :)

      Delete
  3. Very interesting to read your post and especially the comments that followed!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment