Wednesday - Close Up - A Couple of Fat Men


 On a recent trip, we encountered many street venders who were selling silver coins, like the Fat Man coins pictured above. Many of them were currency, but some were also commemorative all dating from about 1890-1925. From all that I can determine (ping test, magnetic test, weight) they are actual silver rather than counterfeits. We hope to get them checked out when we get back to the States this summer, but regardless of their value, they certainly are quite interesting.











Comments

  1. They are, indeed, interesting, and you have wonderful lighting and detail in the images.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the details you have been able to capture. These coins reminded me of.....in Iran before the revolution, it was customary to hand out gold coins during the Iranian new year.They were real gold, commemrative, coins which would be worth even more than the original cost with time as the price of gold fluctuated. I would think the value of your coins would be determined by the amount of silver and the age. BTW Craig do you still blog? I remember you had a blog back then and your posts, especially the ones with videos showing the area you live in etc.....always fancinated me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The blog is still there, but I have been less inspired to write since entering the high school classroom again. It's more time than anything, but I know I would like to get back to it.

      Delete

Post a Comment