Intentional Camera Movement - Day time

With the encouragement from John Durham from my first timid Intentional Camera Movement (ICM) post, I was fired up to shoot ICM photos during the day - morning, afternoon and evening.

I took the train and boy, I loved the perspective of the walkway... so busy with people :


I was kind of pleased with the photo and walked towards the great mall where I was absolutely sure there will be a crowd with both locals and tourists. So so looking forward and thinking I might get another great shot again!

I parked myself as discreetly as possible between the mall's main door and a little further away from the train station. Feeling really happy with the spot but it was under the hot hot sun. Is all right, I can kind of handle the morning heat and waited and waited and waited... NOBODY passed by!! Everyone was walking behind me in the shade; very very few people were out there near the fountains, etc...

So here I was, sticking out like a sore thumb, the ONLY ONE to stand under the hot hot sun but I was no quitter!! I had made the effort to be up and early and yes, I will swallow my pride and moved to the shade like the others before headache insisted on being my friend.


Finally the mall was opened for business and so I could take the opportunity to cool off. By that time, my lofty ideas, zeal and enthusiasm went down a few notches. Who was I kidding when I said I could take the morning heat??? 



My stomach was rumbling ... How time passed so fast and I needed a break, rest my eyes and the overworked brain .... Felt like the photos were getting from bad to worst to crap!! Oh shucks, I said that!!!!  

Below photo is a composite of ICM photos ... I was not able to shoot what I had in mind and this was as close as possible to my imagination.



For the afternoon shoot, I have decided to do retail therapy - thank you very much. But, there is always a 'but', I did shoot ICM photos in the evening and so dear friends, bear with me and humour me with my evening ICM's photos which I will post them in a couple of days time.








Comments

  1. The first one is the best for me. It is difficult to get the movement just right, to create that balance between blur and still seeing your subject.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely agree with you, Peter. I have noticed that if I go out carefree to shoot with a minimal preparation, it works better for me rather than going out with a specific plan.

      Delete
  2. Very interesting I agree the first one was a goodie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kudos to you for keeping up with the challenge. I really like #1 I think you did a great job with the vertical movement and keeping up with the abstract mode of ICM. While I like #2 as well there is something about the red coloring that pulls me in too much and requires that I redirect my eyes to see the whole picture. Curious, did you use your cellphone for these or regular camera?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Camellia. By afternoon and especially after lunch, I was already saturated and couldn't shoot any ICM photos. It was difficult. I use regular camera to shoot ICM photos.

      Delete
  4. Way to go Nancy! Great job on all of them - each one has something to recommend it. My favorite is the next to last because the woman walking left to right is more in focus while the rest of the image shows movement. I'm trying more and more for that in my ICM's. So coincidental that you posted this today because I shot some today with my long lens (55-300) at 1/4 sec.without any ND filters (usually 1-4 secs) - unusual for me since that is how I try to get that frozen object/people and background movement generally. It's not great, but I had to shoot fast. I'll post it up since I don't have a Sunday Night photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, John. It was very difficult and the more I try to correct my mistakes, the worst it became. Thank goodness for digital camera. Next time, I will simply flow with whatever I see... It helps me to shoot with a different eye.

      Delete
    2. I agree - I just shoot and shoot, sort it out later. I find hidden gems because the back of the camera doesn't reveal much to me. You have such a great eye for form and color, I know you'll knock out some beauties.

      Delete

Post a Comment