Ruby's Here!!

 




But the photographer has issues capturing...

Comments

  1. They are tricksy little buggers - because I have 6 different feeders in all different light conditions, I'm not ashamed to say I often use an automatic setting, "sports" when I have to rapidly shift between feeders. That can push shutter to 1/1000, ISO to 800 and aperture wide open @300mm. Time for noise reduction. If I set up the tripod on one feeder, I'll generally go f6.3, 1/250, ISO100 @300mm. Tripod sure helps, as does the remote release (saves my shoulders!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS - I only have 5 good ones for every 100 I take; they are just took fast and the focus has to be right on their eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sat outside for 20 minutes waiting. I have figured out that he travels to the feeder somewhat on a schedule....haven't totally pin pointed the timing yet, but getting close.I focused, I set the aperture and ISO and sat there waiting ( mind you this the long 500mm length lens....heavy thing!) I put my hand down for a short while and zooooooooom he flies in the other directions of where I had actually focused. I don't think my 750 has a sports setting...I need to look into that.

      Delete
    2. They have to feed every 10-15 minutes and they tend to come from the same direction (I have eastside and westside gangs). Best times are early and late. The more you are out there, the more comfortable they get with you. Mine buzz my head as I take down the feeders to refill them. I would set up the tripod aimed at the feeder with a good ball head and lock spot focus at the yellow flower outlet. When they show up, let fly. An alternative is to area focus on the barrel of the feeder and increase the DOF, then burst mode all day! Hey, film is cheap, right? And wider is better because you can always crop in.

      Delete
  3. Those have to be tricky little buggers because they move so fast

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment