LHong 1919 - Bangkok, Thailand

The Wanglee family is a Thai family of Chinese descent. In 1871, Chen Cihong, a mandarin of the second rank, came from China to settle in Siam (Thailand) and started rice trading at Hua Chong Lhong. Over the years, he became a well-respected member of the Chinese community in Bangkok. The 5th generation restored their ancestors' original business property into a Sino-Siamese heritage sight

LHong 1919 is (was) a showcase for cultural, artistic and historical site, a tourist attraction and a new landmark of Khlong San and Tha Din Daeng areas.

Then COVID-19 started in 2019 and as we all have experienced, lockdown and work from home. 

Going forward, we are now able to travel, etc and I went for a vacation in Thailand and decided to visit LHong 1919. 

The virus has caused much damage to the tourist sector as the ferry that would bring tourists to LHong 1919 has been cancelled and I had to go there in a roundabout way by bus and then walking quite a distance under the hot hot weather. (Kindly do note that I was not alone during this trip).

There was a group of tourists that have just arrived with their air-conditioned transport and I was slightly envious as I was perspiring from top to toe! We all begin to walk towards the side entrance.




The above photo shows the neglect of this tourist attraction during the lockdown. In the next photo, the partial overall view of the site and I am convinced that it was a great and lively place to be with fun, good food and drinks!


There was a gardener, too considering that the site was run down!


This temple beside the site reminded me of the movie "Castle in the Sky" by Hayo Miyazaki ... not the storyline but the image of the castle floating in the sky.


The next photo I named it "Make up your mind!" I couldn't decide if I would like to have the shot of the man drinking his coffee/tea and contemplating his day or should I have taken the shot where all tourist would have alighted if the ferry had been functioning.  Made an awful decision by compromising both!!


As it was really hot and I drank lots of water, of course I needed the ladies and thought I could imitate Tom Snider's interesting toilet photos!! However I saw this gentleman walking past and waited for him so that I could shoot his reflection and oh my, there was A surprise included!! 


There were some painting on the walls but I am sure they were new paintings: 
 


The above photo reminds me of the graffiti in Penang, West Malaysia.  In this photo, you would stand or sit on the bench (it looked so fragile!!) and looked out by the window together with the 2 painted boys. 

Now when I saw the red lanterns, my brains were working overnight! It so so reminds me of the movie "Raise the red lanterns" directed by Zang Yimou!!


In the movie "Raise the Red lanterns", the very wealthy man had acquired 3 or 4 wives / concubines. When he chose the wife /concubine for that night, the servants would begin to light up the red lanterns of the favoured lady in her courtyard!  I can imagined the other ladies would be jealous OR relieved that they will have the evening to themselves!


The below photo showed the renovation done on one of the window according to its original state.  But in my imagination, the other ladies could see and feel the hustle and bustle of the favoured lady ...

What happens when the man lost interest in one of the ladies? The red lanterns were removed;


All servants and maids were withdrawn except one and always the lowest in rank who will serve her a meal - a poor man's meal;


The out-of-favoured lady's house will be neglected - no fire, no money and who knows, perhaps might be put aside to be forgotten and left to die in one of those hidden sheds. Her house might be re-decorated to be given to the next new wife / concubine!


The photos posted here for the "Raise the red lanterns" are for illustration only. 

The tourist site - LHong 1919 - was neglected because of the lockdown and to re-open for business means one needs capital. I was not really that disappointed by the neglect as it had fueled my imagination and I did not have the fight with any crowd to shoot some decent photos. I will drop by in the future when it re-opens.




Comments

  1. Fantastic set of captures and some history well done

    ReplyDelete
  2. Incredibly interesting Nancy and so well photographed. I especially loved the wall art. It must have been a bustling place pre-pandemic. Thanks so much for the tour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, John. Glad to read that you fount it interesting. I was afraid that it would be too long.

      Delete
  3. A fascinating insight and great images

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very, very interesting Nancy. Loved the murals and of course #7 was quite a surprise 😊. Of course I had to look up "Raise the Red Lanters". I found on Freevee hence it's on my list to view.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Camellia. I surprised myself with #7 ... I thought I was "invisible"!!

      Delete
  5. Me again. Finished watching Raise the Red Lanters. Really enjoyed the video. At first I really liked sister #2 until I figured what she was uptoo. The building was quite a maze.The ending was sad and yet it showed how life moves on and while some things change most don't...rituals go on. Thanks again for sharing these photos as well as the title to the movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you had enjoyed the movie! The colours from the movie were so rich and the way it was was filmed ... fantastic!!

      Delete

Post a Comment