If It Were Me I'd...

 

This may take a minute - bear with me. The title of this post is one of my favorite sayings from my time in the classroom. ( There are many - any time you'd like a few more, just let me know) It came about because I never told students what to do. As far as I was concerned, they had complete and ultimate free will. If they asked "Do I have to take the test today?", I'd say "No, of course not!". They quickly learned to ask what the consequences would be of their action; in that case, a zero and failure on the exam. Their choice, of course. I wasn't a tyrant.

I never graded homework - didn't tell me anything about learning, so I would simply quiz virtually every day on reading and class note study. This is where the phrase "If it were me I'd...(fill in the blank)" came about. Students quickly learned that the topic to which I was pointing was pretty darn important - like learn it, now!

So, given what had transpired with some our rather unpleasant experiences with the former blog site, which shall not be named, if it were me, I'd...

go to this website  Google Takeout  and download, from time to time, my content from this blog, IF it is in your interest to preserve your posts and images, especially since Google Archives has gone away as of July 19. I am periodically backing up the site base and profile data, but that doesn't include individual users posts and images. Just sayin', if it were me...

Comments

  1. One of my favorite student questions was, “I am going to be absent tomorrow. Were we going to be doing anything important?”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a long story. In a nutshell, before I went to grad school I mainly taught electronics and math. During & after grad school, I taught organizational psychology, statistics, and research methods. I never taught K-12, and I'm not sure I would have been good at it.

      Delete
    2. I taught full-time before grad school; all the rest was part-time, no more than one or two classes at a time. I taught part-time during grad school, had non-teaching jobs for a long time, and then taught part-time online for 12 years after I "retired."

      Delete

Post a Comment