SATURDAY CHOICE

Murals are so interesting! I can’t help staring at them. A couple of weeks ago, I found this one at a railway station in Heidelberg, Germany. It is the 21st century remix of “Ganymede with Eagle”.


The young Trojan prince Ganymede flanked by Zeus in the form of an eagle has been depicted by artists for millennia. I browsed the pictures I took a couple of years ago in the National Archeological Museum in Naples, Italy. VoilĂ : same motive as at the station, only two thousand years older. What an amazing journey through time and what a universal ideal of harmony and beauty!


My friends said the modern mural was too colourful and kitschy. Really? Click on the link below to find out more about the “whiteness” of ancient Rome and Greece. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Liy1q1ilUDs


Comments

  1. Wow thats a fantastic mix of of captures love it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot! I found it really interesting that someone bothered to bring this ancient motive back to life as a mural.

      Delete
  2. It's cool that you noticed it, took the picture, AND also knew what it was! I'm not familiar with the story of Ganymede and Zeus/eagle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tom. I was sort of forced to learn about ancient Greek and Roman mythology. It is part of our curriculum at primary and secondary schools. Although it was fun to read about all these gods, demi-gods and heroes, my real interest was down-to-earth biology and chemistry. Thinking of heavenly aspects of my education… oh, yes, I was passionate about space exploration and all that was related to NASA.

      Delete
  3. Very talented artist and really good eye, on your part, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John, I like that someone added colour to the “whiteness” of our modern European interpretation of the ancient world. Recent research proves how far from the truth we were.

      Delete

Post a Comment