Thursday Expression

 I am watching you...



S M I L E 



Simple joy



Making memories



Google map



This is rather interesting as you can see a rather high threshold. In ancient China, this would helped the door to be closed tightly, to protect from floods, rain, small insects like rats and dust.

The Chinese in ancient time wore loose clothes and when they entered a rich man's house, they are obliged to lift their legs high up to cross the threshold and at the same time, the servants would know if they are carrying hidden weapons under their clothes.

One never stands on the edge to cross but rather like the lady in the photo, you cross over. The men would use their left leg first and the ladies, the right. Of course, this happened only in ancient time.

I shot this photo with the aim of having someone crossing the edge and it took me a couple of photos to get the one that I liked.  





Comments

  1. This is a cool collection of shots, and that's interesting about the thresholds. The last two shots, where the subjects seem to notice you, reminded me of an interview I saw with a street photographer (https://youtu.be/qcXt3b6Xvr8). One of her techniques is to intentionally wait for the subject to turn their head toward her and then shoot. She's gotten some beautiful street portraits that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tom and also for the link. I've just watched it. It is very interesting but not really my way of approaching street photography. I do agree 100% about the light. If someone looked at me like the young lady with the luggage, that is a bonus for me. The last photo was intentional because nowadays, everyone's head is looking down at their handphone which does not suit my "storyline".

      Delete
  2. What Tom said! You have such a wealth of subjects and you really make the most of them - wonderful eye and patience, Nancy!☺️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, John. When I am doing sreet photography, I do take tons of it without any thoughts on theme, etc. What is essential for me is that the people are bath in good light, there is something interesting about them or in the surroundings and most importantly, they are not in an embarrassing situation like sleeping, yawning or eating with crumbs on their faces, etc. I respect them when I do street photography.

      Delete

Post a Comment