Cool and Creepy Long-Exposure Portrait Technique

 

NOT MY PHOTO -- this is a screenshot from the video.

I just ran across this YouTube video from Tony & Chelsea Northrup.  They demonstrate a cool thing you can do with a long exposure and a delayed shutter.  This looks like something that could also be used with still life and other tabletop shots like some of you guys (John, Camellia, etc.) do.  I'm going to give it a try.

Long-exposure Portraits: Creepy Photos Taught by Creepy People

https://youtu.be/0G42udTNa-E?si=TglL8nCNATVRWI9p 

(6:25)

Comments

  1. Very cool! I haven't done this with my long exposures - just light painting and ICM. Have to think of something fun to do (my brother and sister-in-law like to look at my photos, but they're not into participation). I watch T&C from time to time - some of there stuff is great, some a little pedantic. The last one I watched was really good and thought provoking. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTzjaf2ivOQ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They aren't in my regular rotation, but I've seen several of their videos that have been extremely useful. Tony did a 90-minute tutorial on the Nikon model that I bought, and it was very helpful. It's also fun to watch the two of them work together. They are so smooth but don't seem to take themselves too seriously. I ran across one of their very first videos, and they were awkward and uncomfortable. They've come a long way since then.

      Delete
    2. They do mess well. I have so many photography YTers in my subscriptions it's hard to get to them all! What Nikon did you buy?

      Delete
    3. I have a Nikon D5600 that I bought a couple of years ago. It's a long way from cutting edge but it works well for me. Tony's tutorial on it was done back in 2017, but it served me well in 2022. 🙂

      Delete
    4. I had a D3500 and traded it for a D5200 - love me some Nick-ons!

      Delete
  2. This is cool and definitely worthy of trying. I also was impressed as to how Tony sat there stiff as a board. Thanks for the share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to pictures of your husband with your hands around his neck! 😀

      Delete

Post a Comment