Effects of Shutter Speed on Water Photos

 Shutter Speed Effects

 

At Bust Your Butt Falls I experimented with a few different shutter speeds on the fast-moving water.  Here are shots of one scene taken at four different speeds.  I hope this might be useful to someone.  FWIW, all of these were taken at 55mm.

 

In my post Sunday - Nature:  Bust Your Butt Falls there are examples of other shots taken at 1/200, 1/125,  1/60, and 1/5.

 

 

#1:  1/320 sec @ f/9, ISO 100


 ---------------------

 

 #2:  1/60 sec @ f/22, ISO 100


 -------------

 #3:  1/20 sec @ f/36, ISO 100


 -------------

 #4:  1/5 sec @ f/36, ISO 100

 

Comments

  1. Good experimentation - if there was any moving water around here, I'd put on my variable ND and go for 1/4sec or less and f4-8.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check out Gavin Hardcastle's latest video - waterfalls! He's one of my favorites on YT - a clown prince who can really bring it with his images. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOnwoydVy3A

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! I did a small experiment just like your with the waves coming in at the beach. Will post them later.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment