Sunday - Nature: Bust Your Butt Falls

 Bust Your Butt Falls

The road up to Highlands, North Carolina, runs next to a gorge carved by the Cullasaja River.  Bust Your Butt Falls is a popular swimming hole in the river in the summer, but not so popular in February.  When we stopped there last month there was only one other couple there, and none of us were swimming.

#1

 55mm, 1/125 sec @ f/11,  ISO 100

Like us, the other couple was happy to sit on the bank and watch the river pound down a waterfall and race downhill.

#2

 55mm, 1/200 sec @ f/7.1  ISO 100

The most fun for me was getting in close and experiencing the energy of the water.  In most of my shots some of the whites are overexposed beyond saving, so I won’t be submitting these pictures to the Sierra Club Calendar.  Still, the shots record what I wanted to remember from the scene.

#3 

45mm, 1/5 sec @ f32, ISO 100

There was one place with billows of foam:

#4

 55mm, 1/60 sec @ f/13, ISO 100

When I took the photo above and cropped in closer, I liked it even better:

#5

 55mm, 1/60 sec @ f/13, ISO 100

Image 5 is properly exposed, but underexposing it looks pretty cool too:

#6

 55mm, 1/60 sec @ f/13, ISO 100

Comments

  1. Lovely! Brings back so many memories of NC, the Nantahala National Forest and the Cullasaja. I am a witness that Bust Your Butt Falls is aptly named!🤣

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are we talking about your personal butt-busting experience? 😁

      Delete
    2. Yeah, baby! Long before knee and spine surgery, a group of us (after a libation or two) decided it would be fun. It was...just bruising🤣

      Delete
  2. Again, 4 and 5.... what speed? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you asking about shutter speeds? I've added them to all the shots. Also, I added a post that shows how the same stretch of water looks using four different shutter speeds.

      Delete
    2. I'm sorry Tom, you are right and that is very helpful to me. I am blind, just focussing on the photos. Thanks, have taken note of this and will experiment.

      Delete
    3. No, you're not blind. Originally there was no information on the shots -- I added the shutter speeds later in response to your question.

      Delete
  3. Looks a nice destination, especially with not too many people about.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment